NorthStar Utilities Solutions has focused on providing utilities with cost-effective solutions for real-world challenges. Founded in 1976, we are honored to now be working with over 200 utilities throughout North America & the Caribbean. NorthStar Utilities Solutions is the original business unit of Harris Computer Systems. As a result of continued growth, Harris moved to a divisional structure in 2004. Today, Harris employs 1,200 industry professionals in 38 offices throughout North America.
NorthStar is seeking a Junior AWS Systems Administrator & Deployer to provide support for hosted AWS, and self-hosted client application environments and internal server and networking environments. As a successful candidate you will investigate, manage, track and close client and internal technical support issues, specifically related to keeping server operating environments running and applications available for end user access. You will also be responsible for deploying software updates to our hosted and on-premise customers.
You will be responsible for contributing to a knowledge base and supporting user forums. You must have the ability to multi-task and see issues through to resolution. You will serve as primary support liaison between company and customer. In this role, you will report to the Manager, Support Services and will be supported by a great team in providing exceptional customer service and proactive customer support. The position will be located in a Harris office in Ottawa, Ontario. Some travel may be required.
The successful hire will be located and work out of the Contour Software Islamabad office, working as part of the resource-center team, as an extension of the division-based Support Services department.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Operate as a backline and, when necessary, frontline primary support liaison between NorthStar and our hosted clients and effectively respond to and resolve inquiries of both a product and technical nature received by telephone, electronically submitted tickets or through automated alerting systems.
- Assess a variety of situations, reviewing server and network operations, software configuration, set-up and software code and identify the correct resolution or escalate according to departmental guidelines.
- Report detailed information within the client tracking system and document processes, routines, and programs by following the defined guidelines and team goals & objectives.
- Regularly review the database of submitted items and proactively follow up with internal and external clients to ensure that their inquiries and/or issues have been satisfactorily resolved.
- Work closely with other team members as part of a cohesive group in exchanging knowledge through peer-to-peer interaction, training sessions
- Maximize and maintain current knowledge and awareness of applications and related technologies.
- Work with the Manager, Support Services to develop, monitor, document and maintain best practices for system administration, network and application security and compliance with Harris data and security policies.
- Proven work experience in IT
- Experience with system administration tools such as Active Directory, Group Policy, Virtualization, Prometheus, SFTPs,
- Hands-on experience with AWS such as, IAM, S3, EC2, VPC, EBS, ELB, RDS, Route 53, KMS, CloudWatch
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of training users in applications and operating system fundamentals and writing documentation.
- Experience with OS Scripting languages like Bash, PowerShell, and Shell.
- Sound knowledge of standard system administration tools and processes
- Sound understanding of Linux, Windows Servers.
- Working knowledge of cloud security in a high availability enterprise environment
- Sound knowledge of engagement delivery and software troubleshooting techniques with a high focus on first call resolution.
- Excellent analytical, research and problem-solving skills with a strong ability to multi-task and prioritize work effectively.
- Ability to interpret requirements and recommend solutions that best address clients' needs.
" Bachelor's degree in Technology or Computer Science
" Experience with Docker and orchestration tools like Kubernetes or Swarm
" Experience with at least one popular programming language such as, Java, Python, C#
" Experience with DevOps tools like, Ansible, Terraform, and GIT
Exciting Benefits we offer:
- Market-leading Salary
- Medical Coverage Self & Dependents
- Parents Medical Coverage
- Provident Fund
- Employee Performance-based bonuses
- Home Internet Subsidy
- Conveyance Allowance
- Profit Sharing Plan [Tenured Employees Only]
- Life Benefit
- Child Care Facility
- Company Provided Lunch/Dinner
- Professional Development Budget
- Recreational area for in-house games
- Sporadic On-shore training opportunities
- Friendly work environment
- Leave Encashment